Bhutan on a Budget- 6 night tour
Your Bhutan Tour Inclusions
- Freelance professional guide, driver and vehicle
- All touring & transfers in Bhutan
- All sightseeing, hiking & most entrance fees
- All meals at 3* hotels & some local restaurants as per guides discretion
- 3* hotel accommodation with private bathrooms
- Option to stay at Bhutanese farm house accom with limited/share bathroom
- Bhutan government taxes and ‘Sustainability Fee’
- Bhutan visa fees & processing
- Bank transfers and communications charges
- A comprehensive pre-departure trip planning guide
- ZERO FLIGHT RISK – free cover for supplier default.
- ATAS Accredited via our parent company MTA Travel
- Flights to/from Paro are additional.
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance which is mandatory to be granted a visa. Please ensure your coverage allows for hiking up to 4000m.
- Bottled water & all other drinks which you can purchase yourself daily.
- Snacks in-between meals are your personal responsibility
- Laundry, telephone calls, local SIM, medications, personal expenses
- Tips for guide & driver as per our tipping guide
Bhutan Seasons & Tour Costs 2019
Minimum of 2 persons travelling together to take advantage of this offer. This tour is not available to (solo) single travellers.
Peak Season: March, April, May, September, October & November.
Regular Season: January, February, June, July August & December.
- 2 persons travelling on a twin share basis.
Peak Season US$1706.00 pp Regular Season US$1416.00 pp
- 3 or more persons travelling together.
Peak Season US$ 1494.00 pp & Regular Season US$1205.00 pp
|Deposit date until 60 days prior departure||Loss of deposit|
|From 60 days prior arrival in Bhutan||No refund permitted|
Paro Airport to Thimphu City (1 hr 15 mins)
After clearing immigration and customs proceed to the terminal exit door where you will meet your guide & driver and be transferred to Bhutan’s capital Thimphu, travelling through the spectacular countryside en-route. All the houses and buildings in the Kingdom are painted and constructed in traditional Bhutanese style.
Whilst in Thimphu your sightseeing options include the following and you must arrange your daily schedule with your guide each morning.
Please note you will not be able to do all listed sightseeing & hiking options so please just choose those that interest you the most.
• Golden Buddha (Buddha Dordenma)
• View the majestic Trashichhoe Dzong.
• The National Memorial Chorten.
• Tara Lhaden Zhingkham lhakang (temple)
• Visit the Takin Preserve
• Craft Bazaar
• Weekend Market (FRI – SUN only)
• Royal Textiles Academy, closed SUN & Public Holidays (PH)
• Folk Heritage Museum, closed PH)
• National Library, which holds a vast collection of ancient Buddhist manuscripts, closed SAT & PH
• Visit the cottage industries of Handmade Paper & Incense, closed SAT/SUN/PH
• Gagyel Lhandrup Weaving Centre, closed SAT/SUN/PH
• Zorig Chusum – the Institute of the 13 Arts & Crafts of Bhutan, closed SAT/SUN/PH exam & school holidays.
Hiking options available in Thimphu.
- Wangditse hike:
Drive to BBS tower, approximately 15 minutes drive and start hike from there. It’s a gradual walk towards Wangditse Goemba, approx 30 minutes walk. (round trip 1 hr)
- Tango Goemba hike
Travel north up the Thimphu valley and hike through the forest to Tango Goemba (2hr round trip)
- Golden Buddha hike:
An excellent 3 km hike option with wonderful city & valley views.
Overnight Thimphu – Bhutanese Style 3* Hotel.
Activities in the Thimphu valley today.
As per the suggestions above.
Overnight Thimphu - Bhutanese Style 3* Hotel
Thimphu Valley to Punakha Valley (3 hrs)
This morning as per the suggestions above before a noon departure eastward to the Punakha Valley. En-route pass the Semtokha Dzong built in 1629, the oldest fortress of its kind that guarded the Thimphu valley, and which today is a monastery. Ascend to Dochu La (pass-3116 m) to view the 108 Stupas; a memorial to those who lost their lives in late 2002 when Bhutan evicted Indian rebels camped in the jungle on the Bhutan Indian border. On a clear day witness a breathtaking view of the eastern Himalaya. On arrival into the Punakha Valley take lunch at a local restaurant before visiting Chimmi Lhakhang, a monastery built by Lama Drukpa Kuenley (also known as the Divine Madman or Mad Monk) who has a very colourful history. It is believed that childless women who visit the temple will conceive after receiving a “wang” (blessing) from the resident monk.
Overnight Punakha – Bhutanese Style 3* Hotel.
Hiking options available en-route to Punakha
- Lumichawa hike:
Drive to Dochu La, approximately 45 minutes drive from Thimphu, and start hike from Dochu La pass. It’s a gradual walk down to Lumichawa, towards Punakha, which is approximately 2 hours walk along the old ancient trail.
- Thinleygang hike:
Drive from Thimphu to Thinleygang (towards Punakha, after crossing Dochu La), approximately 2 hours drive, and start hike down to Punakha from Thinleygang ending near the Nunnery, which is again 2 hours walk.
Sightseeing in the Punakha Valley.
This morning, visit the dramatic Punakha Dzong, which formally served as the seat of the government and is still the winter residence of the Dratsheng (Central Monk Body). This is Bhutan’s most spectacular Dzong and an excellent example of how a medieval fortress and a centre of both monastic and administrative functions has adapted and evolved for modern day use. Followed by a visit the Sangchhen Dorji Lhuendrup Lhakhang & nunnery and the small village of Talo where you can wander the beautiful & serene gardens of the monastery. Time permitting consider an option to hike back to the valley floor from Talo.
This afternoon we recommend you travel further up the valley & hike through rice paddies and fields of vegetables and through tiny hamlets to Khamsum Yulley Namgyel Chorten. This Chorten holds very special significance being consecrated in 1999 & dedicated to the protection of the former Crown Prince now King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck.
Overnight Punakha Valley – Bhutanese Style 3* Hotel
Punakha Valley to Paro Valley (4 hrs)
Depart Punakha early morning for your transfer westwards to the Paro Valley, once again traversing Dochu La, and arriving in Paro town in time for a late lunch.
This afternoon, enjoy an orientation tour of the major features in Paro town including the Rinpung Dzong with its cantilever bridge; the National Museum and take a wander through Paro main streets for good handicraft and local jewellery shopping.
Overnight Paro Valley - Bhutanese Style 3* Hotel
Hike option available en-route to Paro.
- Lungchuzey Goemba hike 1-2 hours.
Hike up through the forest and visit Lungchuzey Goemba and return by the same trail to Dochu La.
Hiking Pilgrimage & Sightseeing in the Paro Valley.
This morning hike to the Taktsang Monastery, also known as Tiger’s Nest. This is Bhutan’s most revered monastery and all Bhutanese strive to make the pilgrimage here at least once in their lives. This visit is much more than ‘just a hike’ and each step gains merit points for the next part of life’s journey. Choose between a 1.5-2 hr round trip hike to the monastery viewpoint, or a longer 5 hour and more strenuous hike into the monastery itself. Please note you must be of at least moderate fitness to make it all the way to the monastery and back. Tigers Nest clings impossibly to a cliff of rock at 800 metres above the valley floor and where Guru Rinpoche flew on the back of a tigress to subdue the local demons followed by 3 months’ meditation in a cave still visible in the monastery. In 1998 Taktsang was seriously damaged by fire and has since been painstakingly reconstructed to its original condition and consecrated by the 4th King in 2005.
This afternoon, time permitting, visit Kyichu Lhakhang one of Bhutan’s oldest and most beautiful temples boasting an orange tree that perpetually bears fruit.
Overnight Paro Valley – Bhutanese Style 3* Hotel.
*Important Note* Please remember to tip your guide and driver today as per the details in your pre-departure visitor guide.
Day of departure
Early morning transfer to Paro airport for your onward flight.
Book Your Place!
Name of Tour: Bhutan on a Budget – 6 nt tour
Price From: US$1416.00 pp twin share. Payments by credit card incur a 1.01%-1.55% surcharge.
Minimum of 2 persons travelling together to take advantage of this offer
Dates: Daily departures year round