Markha Valley Trek in Ladakh region of Himalayan India
This is a 9 night private trek tour and can be scheduled for date departures to suit travellers preferences. Climate-wise, this trek is generally possible between 01 May to 31 August each year. Trekkers fly from Delhi to Leh (Ladakh region) and return (airfares are not included in the tour cost).
Stunning scenery ensures trekkers in this region are well rewarded for their effort. This trek is best suited for groups of 4-6 trekkers (plus crew) although can be undertaken by just 2 or 3 trekkers.
With overnight altitudes ranging from 3500m to 4841m, and a pass at 5100m along the way, this high-altitude trek is rated ‘moderate’ and is designed for fit & healthy travellers, ideally with higher-altitude trekking experience. Check out the ‘Trekking Essentials’ guide to prepare for this experience.
Trekkers do NOT require previous mountaineering experience. There are no requirements for the use of ropes, helmets, crampons, ice axes or harnesses on this trek.
Markha Valley Trek Tour Overview:
- Day 1: Fly Delhi to Leh – daily flights mostly early morning. Day at rest to acclimatize. Overnight Leh hotel. Alt 3500m.
- Day 2: Full day exploring Leh area including Shey (former regional capital with monastery), Thiksey monastery & Stakna village & monastery. Overnight Leh hotel.
- Day 3: Drive Leh to Zingchen and commence trek 4-5 hours to Yurutse. Overnight tented campsite, alt 4050m.
- Day 4: Trek from Yurutse to Skyu 6-7 hours. Overnight tented campsite, alt 3500m.
- Day 5: Trek from Skyu to Markha 7-8 hours. Overnight tented campsite, alt 3700m.
- Day 6: Trek from Markha to Thachungtse 5-6 hours. Overnight tented campsite, alt 4150m.
- Day 7: Trek from Thachungtse to Nimaling 4-5 hours. Overnight tented campsite, alt 4841m.
- Day 8: Trek from Nimaling to Shang Sumdo 6-7 hours. Overnight tented campsite, alt 3670m.
- Day 9: Trek from Shang Sumdo to Hemis 4 hours then drive back to Leh. Overnight Leh hotel.
- Day 10: Depart Leh by flight to Delhi. Most flights early to mid-morning. End of tour.
Tour Costs, Inclusions & Conditions:
This is a private 9 night trekking tour that can be undertaken by parties ranging from 2 to 8 trekkers between the months of 01 May to 31 August.
Trek costs quoted below are all in US Dollars and for land tour arrangements only. Air flights Delhi-Leh return will be additional. As a guide please factor in approx USD345.00 for these flights.
Markha Valley Trek – Land Tour Costs valid 15 May 24 to 31 August 2024: Updated 17JUL23
Two trekkers travelling together @ USD2134.00 per person (sharing one vehicle).
Three trekkers travelling together @ USD1730.00 per person (sharing one vehicle)
Four trekkers travelling together @ USD1637.00 per person (sharing two vehicles)
Five trekkers travelling together @ USD1569.00 per person (sharing two vehicles)
Six trekkers travelling together @ USD1472.00 per person (sharing two vehicles)
Seven trekkers travelling together @ USD1627.00 per person (sharing three vehicles)
Eight trekkers travelling together @ USD1520.00 per person (sharing three vehicles)
Single room/tent supplement (covering all 9 nights on this private trek tour) @ USD409.00 per person.
Markha Valley Trek – Land Tour Inclusions:
- Professional cultural & trek tour guide for entire itinerary.
- All transfers & excursions by Toyota Innova cars or local jeeps.
- All entrance and site visit fees.
- Trekking staff includes cook, supporting staff and ponies to carry trek equipment & baggage.
- Accom for 3 nights in a Leh hotel including all meals.
- Accom for 6 nights in 3-person tents on the Markha Valley trek tour component incl all meals.
- Trekking crew carry a basic first aid kit and emergency oxygen cylinder.
- All necessary trekking equipment, aside from personal clothing and requirements (detailed separately).
- All necessary documentation and permits for trekking in this region.
Trek Tour EXCLUSIONS:
- Your personal trekking clothing and equipment as detailed on this ‘Trekking Essentials’ weblink.
- All personal needs such as laundry, communications, beverages, medications etc.
- All associated airfares are additional for this trekking adventure experience.
- All tips & travel insurance (incl cover for COVID please).
- Costs for any RAT or PCR tests, and any associated quarantine costs, that may be mandatory at the time of travel.
Markha Valley Trek Tour Q & A:
With a focus on ‘Risk & Response’ you will find these particularly useful in your planning and for your personal safety.