Bhutan Travel Planning
Initial planning for ex-USA travellers to Bhutan.
Aussies & Americans are best of friends!
James & Nicola of Bhutan & Beyond are Aussies, and based in Australia. We’re experts in both Bhutan, and how to get there, and have been ably assisting ex-US travellers experience the very best Bhutan has to offer for years.
James has travelled extensively and discovered Bhutan back in 2003. He fell in love with it immediately! The rest is history.
Our Tour Options:
Whether it be our classic traditional Bhutanese private or small group tours; our trekking & adventure experiences or our range of luxury & wellness retreats, we can create the perfect Bhutan journey for you.
Getting to Bhutan from the USA
It’s much easier than you might think!
- Drukair & Bhutan Airlines are the ONLY two airlines that service Paro, Bhutan! They are both reputable carriers.
- These two airlines offer services to Paro from hub cities Bangkok, Singapore, Delhi, Kathmandu, Kolkata, Dhaka & Bagdogra.
- Bhutan & Beyond MUST book these flights in/out of Paro in conjunction with your land tour arrangements.
- Once we confirm your Paro flights, & Bhutan land arrangements, you are now safe to book & purchase your ex-USA air ticket locally in the USA.
- You will only need to arrange your ex-USA ticket as far as the hub city where you will connect to your flight into Paro.
- Bhutan & Beyond will handle everything from that hub city point on for you.
- Once you arrive into your nearest hub city to Bhutan we will connect you to a Drukair or a Bhutan Airlines flight into Paro airport.
Your Fastest Route To Bhutan
Depending on where you live in the USA please follow this guide below for the fastest route to Bhutan.
From WESTERN USA:
Easiest way is to fly to Bangkok via Tokyo, Taipei or Hong Kong on US carriers such as United & Delta or Asian carriers such as Thai Airways, JAL, All Nippon or Cathay Pacific. Alternatively fly to Singapore on Singapore Airlines or a US carrier.
From Bangkok there are daily services into Paro, Bhutan. From Singapore there are usually 2 weekly services into Paro. Bangkok is closer to Bhutan & flying time is between 3 and 4.5 hours. From Singapore it is longer and can take up to 6+ hours each way.
From CENTRAL USA:
You can fly via Asia (see From Western USA above) or via Europe/Middle East (see From Eastern USA below). Both routes will be similar as far as flying time goes.
From EASTERN USA:
Fastest way is to fly to Delhi (India) or Kathmandu (Nepal) via either UK or Europe (London or Frankfurt best) flying British Airways, Lufthansa and selected US carriers. OR fly via Middle East (Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Doha) flying Emirates, Etihad or Qatar Airways.
From both Delhi & Kathmandu there are daily services into Paro, Bhutan flying either Drukair or Bhutan Airlines.
Hot Tips for USA Travellers
You will usually need to overnight, on your outbound journey, in either Bangkok, Singapore, Delhi or Kathmandu. Flights to Paro often depart very early in the morning (between 0500 and 0830) and staying at a good close airport hotel is recommended. We can assist you with this booking.
VISAS & TRAVEL INSURANCE:
A visa to enter Bhutan will be pre-arranged for you by Bhutan & Beyond.
Additional visas may be required for any stopover you make en-route to Bhutan. Please check with us for advice. This will almost certainly apply to stops in India and Nepal.
It is mandatory for all travellers to Bhutan, including those from the USA, to hold a ‘comprehensive travel insurance policy’ or you WILL be denied an entry visa!
Your existing insurance/s connected with your US home policies are NOT sufficient for a journey to Bhutan.
Comprehensive travel insurance includes cover for trip cancellation, baggage, travel delay, emergency evacuation & repatriation along with sickness, accident & personal liability. There should also be some cover against COVID-19 related incidents.
We recommend World Nomads travel insurance cover for our USA travellers, which you can purchase on-line in the USA direct. Click here for details.